Holiday Sweet Potato Puree
This is the first recipe I ever created using my new VITAMIX! I am so excited to have made this big purchase for myself. So many people with dysphagia end up buying themselves a vitamix blender, though they are very expensive. I hope now I can connect with many of you by using one myself!
This recipe was inspired by the holidays. At Christmas, so many people eat sweet potatoes with butter, brown sugar, marshmallows, and pecans (or at least some variation of that). I decided to turn it into a puree using very similar ingredients.
I used marshmallow cream in this recipe instead of actual marshmallows. I did this because I thought they would be easier to blend because it’s already a more ‘melted’ consistency. This is the brand I got from a local grocery store.
If you don’t have marshmallow cream, I would suggest melting down some marshmallows with your butter and brown sugar to soften them a bit before they go in the blender. That way they will be nice and soft and won’t clump up in the blender.
If you’re new to testing a puree, you can find more information from IDDSI here. You can also go to our get started page. As you can see, the mixture holds its form when on a spoon. When the spoon is tilted, it slides off and leaves a thin residue on the spoon. Make sure you test it yourself.
I used my new vitamix to blend this recipe. Since a vitamix tends to be more powerful than other blenders, you may need to add more liquid depending on what you’re using. It would probably work well with a nutribullet or an immersion blender, but I think you would need more milk and/or butter. Use your intuition! Sweet potatoes are very soft and blend well into a puree.
Even though it’s a puree, it tastes delicious and you could easily serve this to everyone at your holiday gathering. If you have any questions about this recipe, let us know! Leave your comments below because we love to hear from you!
Holiday Sweet Potato Puree
- Other blender
- 2 large sweet potatoes ~3 c cooked
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ c milk
- 6 tbsp marshmallow cream
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and poke holes in them with a fork. Put on a baking sheet and bake for ~1 hour, or until easily pierced with a knife.
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove the skin.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar over a medium heat until brown sugar has dissolved slightly.
- Add sweet potatoes, butter/brown sugar mixture, and milk into a blender. Blend until mostly smooth.
- Add in the marshmallow cream 1 tbsp at a time to ensure it’s blended completely.
- Continue blending until completely smooth, adding any additional liquid if necessary.
- Serve warm and enjoy!